At Saltire Roofing & Building we care about our communities, and we care about the environment in which we live and work.
We’re all aware of environmental issues on a national and global scale, so at a local level we want to ensure we’re doing our bit to improve our green credentials and reduce our carbon footprint.
Taking care of the environment and reducing pollution are two of the most significant challenges facing businesses today and it’s becoming increasingly important for companies to demonstrate a commitment to tacking these issues.
That’s why Saltire Roofing & Building has ISO 14001 certification, because it’s proof of that commitment, to ensure clients and customers we take our environmental responsibilities seriously.
Having an ISO 14001 certificate means we meet an internationally agreed standard of requirements to reduce the environmental impact of our everyday operations.
Our Environmental Management System (EMS) means we have more efficient use of resources and less waste, as well as gaining a competitive advantage and the trust of clients and customers.
It helps us ensure we identify, manage, measure, monitor and control environmental issues in a systematic manner.
A key element of our EMS is to carry out an Environmental Impact Assessment which is a process of evaluating the likely environmental impacts of our business such as air pollution, noise pollution, water and sewage, generation of waste, soil contamination, climate change, and carbon footprint together with mitigating actions to help reduce these impacts.
Examples of some of our mitigating actions include:
- Replacement of all office light fittings to LED type
- Implementation of vehicle tracker system to better manage use of vehicles to reduce fuel use and CO2 emissions
- Ban on use of company vehicles in 5 of the 6 Edinburgh Vehicle Emission Zones which contributes to Edinburgh’s commitment to reduce CO2 emissions in identified high pollution areas
- Segregation of waste materials and use of Waste Management Provider to increase recycling and reduce landfill waste
- Opening up our waste skips for use by some of our clients giving a reduction in their fuel costs and therefore emissions
- Introduction of zero emission electric vehicles
- Increased employee engagement in the knowledge that they are working in an environmentally conscious business
As a result of these actions, we have seen a vast improvement in our environmental performance and financial savings in terms of:
- A reduction in waste being sent to landfill
- A reduction in fuel consumption
- A reduction in our use of electricity
- Greater client satisfaction
- A more systematic approach to legal compliance
As with our ISO9001 Quality Management System and our OHSAS18001 Health and Safety Management System, continuous improvement is key which is why at Saltire we have a well-developed Continuous Improvement Strategy aligned with our EMS.
Environmental Performance is a standing agenda item at our Monthly Management Meetings with any agreed actions recorded on our Actions and Improvement Register where they are monitored and signed off when complete.
These Monthly Management Meetings feed into our bi-annual Management Review Meetings chaired by our Governance and Compliance Advisor. These are designed to review outcomes and trends from all our ISO and OHSAS Management Systems. These meetings enable us to identify areas for improvement and development and plan how we will achieve these targets – all part of our drive for continuous improvement.
To maintain our ISO14001 accreditation, every year our EMS is subject to 2 internal audits carried out by our Compliance and Governance Advisor and an external audit carried by QMS International. This rigorous audit regime gives assurances to customers and clients that Saltire takes its environmental responsibilities very seriously and is committed to improving our environmental performance.
Saltire Roofing & Building Managing Director Steven McIntosh says:
“Following our accreditation in early 2016, we have seen a great improvement in our environmental performance which is what we wanted to see. But interestingly, we’ve also found one of the biggest benefits to be the recognition that comes with being amongst those businesses that care enough to reduce their environmental footprint. That in itself has brought about better relationships with customers, the public and our local communities’.